International project of ASCE started in 2010 and now includes over 60 touristic interesting cemeteries from 20 European countries.
The specific of the route is the focus on tourism aspect and promotional projects to cultural tourists. Nevertheless all objectives described further are important to follow for all the participating members:
- Promote the significant funerary heritage for its artistic and historic value.
- Bring public and private awareness to an irreplaceable and highly important heritage for the European cultural movement.
- Drive cultural tourism offering new spaces.
- Establish new vehicles of collaboration among European countries and regions and help the cohesion of the territory with a common project which offers a new transnational experience through a cross-border European route.
- Encourage restoration of funerary landscape.
- Provide an itinerary that not only offers a route to visit but a tool for knowledge and continued research.
- Be the starting point for other initiatives of study and promotion, such as, congresses, expositions, etc., and training and awareness-raising activities.
- Promote education in schools, incorporating the Route to their ordinary cultural visits in a dynamic and pedagogic manner.
Mobile guide ARtour
Mobile app ARtour is available for free for visitors of Kozala and Trsat cemeteries. Several guides are available and many more will be developed in future to enable learning and discovering of our cultural heritage, resting at Rijeka cemeteries.
Rijeka cemeteries as part of European Cemeteries route
Kozala and Trsat cemeteries are included into the European Cemeteries route. These cemeteries provide several significant monuments and artistic work that are interesting for tourists. Foreign diplomatic and other important visitors come to express remembrance to important people or events that are marked in our cemeteries.
Managing touristic visits is a special form and challenge for cemeteries since these are at the same time places of funerals and family visits.
European Cemeteries route is especially important in this aspects since the project is trying to find out the best ways of combining the two activities of the cemeteries.
Future of Rijeka cemeteries and preserving of its cultural heritage depends in this context very much on future developments of the European Cemeteries route. KD Kozala will therefore strive to more actively participate in this and other ASCE projects.